SqlJuxt – Defining indexes on a table

I have just finished implementing the first implementation of table indexes. Both scripting out an index on the table using the fluent builder syntax and comparing indexes on tables. When writing this feature I had some interesting design decisions to make…

My first design for the type to represent index is shown below:

type Constraint = {name: string; columns: (Column * SortDirection)  list; clustering: Clustering}
type Index = {name: string; columns: (Column * SortDirection) list; clustering: Clustering; uniqueness: Uniqueness}

type Table = {schema: string; name: string; columns: Column list; primaryKey: Constraint option; indexes: Index list}

As you can see the primary key on the table is defined as Constraint of Option and the indexes are defined as Index list. When I started writing the code to use these types I noticed a lot of duplication. Then I realised that an index and a primary key are both really constraints just with slightly different properties. Those being that a primary key is always unique that’s what makes it a key!

I decided to extend the Constraint type by adding the uniqueness property to it. Then it was a simple job of extending the primary key methods to always set the uniqueness to unique. Now the type for a table looks like:

type Table = {schema: string; name: string; columns: Column list; primaryKey: Constraint option; indexes: Constraint list}

So a table has a list of indexes which could of course be empty and it may or may not have a primary key which we can represent by using a Constraint of option. The other advantage of modelling both primary keys and indexes using the constraint type is that we can select them out of the database when loading up to build the schema for comparison all at the same time. We simply have to extend the query to bring back the additional information of whether the constraint is unique and if it is a primary key or not so we know whether to put it on the primary key property of the table.

I did toy with the idea of having all constraints in a list on the table called constraints. That list would’ve the primary key if there was one and all of the indexes for the table. I decided against that approach as it feels a bit clunky to have to go through a list to find the primary key of a table. Also the reason I didn’t like that approach is that where possible you should use the type system and thus the compiler to enforce correctness in your program and make it impossible to model illegal state. If I had a list of constraints on a table I would have to manually check to make sure there was only one primary key in the list. Whereas if I have the primary key defined on the table as option of Constraint then there can only ever be one primary key.

If you want to check out the full source code and delve deeper feel free to check out the SqlJuxt GitHub repository.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s